Anthony M. Sholty Attorney
Mr. Sholty joined Faulkner Banfield in 1977 after serving as Assistant City Attorney for the City of Ketchikan. His practice emphasizes litigation, including bad faith defense, products liability, medical and other professional malpractice defense and general insurance defense. Mr. Sholty has appeared in federal and state courts throughout Alaska and in other jurisdictions. The cases he has handled have involved a variety of issues, including, among others:
- Successfully defended first jury trial ever held on claims when PLCAA (Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act)
- Multi-million dollar punitive damages and bad faith claims, including obtaining the reversal of a $16 million dollar punitive damages award
- Airplane accident fatalities
- Commercial real estate litigation involving multi-million dollar claims
- Overseeing the handling of an insurance claim involving arson and multiple deaths
- Closure of a seafood processing plant
- Insurance coverage
- Wrongful death
Mr. Sholty is a member of the American Bar Association (Litigation Section), the Alaska Bar Association and the Juneau Bar Association, of which he is co-president. He has served on the Alaska Bar Association’s Civil Pattern Jury Instruction, Bar History and Legal Educational Opportunities committees, and as a faculty member at the University of Alaska, Southeast. Mr. Sholty currently serves on the Board of Directors of the largest behavioral health providers in Southeast Alaska, JAMHI Health & Wellness. He has also served on the Juneau Parks and Recreation Advisory Committee and as a volunteer coach for youth basketball and soccer teams.
Aetna US Healthcare
Alaska National Insurance Company
Bartlett Memorial Hospital
City and Borough of Juneau
North Pacific Seafood Processors, Inc.