Leon T. Vance Attorney
Mr. Vance joined Faulkner Banfield, P.C. in 1983, following a clerkship with Judge James Barrett of the United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit. Mr. Vance focuses his practice on complex litigation, particularly in the areas of oil and gas tax and royalties, natural resources law, and defense of products liability, personal injury and professional malpractice claims. Working from Faulkner Banfield’s offices in Juneau, Mr. Vance has appeared before courts and administrative agencies throughout Alaska, handling matters arising all over the state, including issues concerning:
- Oil and natural gas produced from Alaska’s North Slope
- The TransAlaska Pipeline, running from the North Slope to Valdez, Alaska
- Tankers carrying crude oil from the terminus of the TransAlaska Pipeline in Valdez, Alaska
- Spill prevention and response vessels located throughout Prince William Sound
- The nation’s first LNG-export plant, located at Kenai, Alaska
- An oil refinery located near Fairbanks, Alaska
- Vessels harvesting and processing fish in the Bering Sea and Gulf of Alaska
- A company operating a car sharing marketplace
- An electrical utility on Prince of Wales Island in Southeast Alaska
- A silver mine located on Admiralty Island in Southeast Alaska
- Businesses and professionals operating in Juneau, Alaska
Mr. Vance served as Alaska counsel for Polar Tankers, Inc., in its successful United States Supreme Court appeal of a property tax that violated the Tonnage Clause of the U.S. Constitution (Polar Tankers, Inc. v. City of Valdez, 557 U.S. 1 (2009)). Mr. Vance holds an AV rating from Martindale Hubbell.
Mr. Vance is a member of the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation and Commonwealth North. He has served ans still serves on a variety of professional, municipal and non-profit boards and committees, and acted as youth sports coach for many seasons.
- Alyeska Pipeline Service Company
- Bitzer Canada, Inc.
- BP Exploration (Alaska), Inc.
- ConocoPhillips Alaska, Inc.
- Crowley Marine Services, Inc.
- ExxonMobil Corporation
- Fishermen’s Finest, Inc.
- Flint Hills Resources Alaska, LLC
- Halliburton Energy Services, Inc.
- Koch Alaska Pipeline Company, LLC
- Koch Industries, Inc.
- Polar Tankers, Inc.
- Turo, Inc.
- Unocal Pipeline Company